Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of Kool-Aid in the traditional sense. I don't actually like to drink it and I almost never make it for my kids. However, we always have a supply on hand to use in many much more creative ways!

With the end of summer approaching rapidly and ideas for quick, easy fun beginning to run dry, I'd like to offer up a variety of activities to share with your kiddies on based on a common ingredient: Kool-Aid.


  • Pour into a bubble bath. The colors are delightful and the whole bathroom will smell like childhood!

  • Make sidewalk chalk that will have the color and the sent of your chosen flavor: Use this recipe and put the mix in with the other dry ingredients.

  • Make you own PlayDoh. Follow this recipe.

  • Make sidewalk paint with this recipe using the Kool-Aid instead of food coloring.

  • Make watercolor paints to use on paper by simply mixing Kool-Aid with water to the desired color intensity.

  • Dye yarn for projects or shoe laces for a snazzy back-to-school update using this recipe.

  • Put it in squirt guns on water balloons for a scrumptious smelling water fight.

  • Mix into vanilla frosting for a fruity sensation on cakes or cookies.


Use all of these opportunities to teach your children about the color wheel and how to mix colors. By the way, the color won't stain skin in the bath or in a water fight, but it will stain your carpet, drapes and furniture. Beware and have a blast!





3 Responses
  1. Kay Day Says:

    My mom always made koolaid frosting! Mix it with with powdered sugar and milk to the right consistency. Also, a childhood treat: put the frosting between graham crackers and chill till firm enough to eat!


  2. I've never been a Kool-Aid person either but I think I will go buy some to do these things with my granddaughter.
    Thanks for the fun.
    Diane


  3. Momstheword Says:

    Hey Kay. I had forgotten about those two treats. Must get some Koolaid and graham crackers, soon!


Post a Comment

I value your comments! Please share your tips & techniques, questions & concerns...